Resources for Councillors
Becoming a Councillor
This publication is useful for councillors, council staff, and members of the general public, as well as candidates:
It gives an overview of local government and what a councillor’s role is. It also outlines what support is available for councillors and how to nominate as a candidate for local government election. The publication also contains updated information about the Integrated Planning and Reporting framework, amendments to the Local Government Act 1993, and local government elections.
Councillor Development Strategy
The Department of Local Government implemented a Councillor Development Strategy to ensure that all NSW councillors elected in September 2008 had timely access to the information needed to understand and undertake their roles and responsibilities effectively. The Strategy also aimed to facilitate ongoing professional development for councillors.
Key documents and links
- Schedule of Councillor Information Seminars (PDF 27KB)
- Councillor Information Seminar Program (PDF 32KB)
- Councillor Guide (PDF 925KB)
The Department and the Associations have jointly developed a Councillor Guide that outlines in more detail the topic areas covered at the councillor information seminars. It also includes information about strategic planning and, reporting as well as financial management responsibilities of councils. The Guide includes a skills checklist and information about where to find additional resources.
- Councillor Guide (PDF 925KB)
Web-based Directory of Information for Councillors
The Directory of Information for Councillors is an on-line directory on the Department’s website that includes a broad range of information and resources to assist councillors, as well as contact details and links to relevant agencies and organisations.
The Directory, including all linked documents, was distributed on a CD to all Councillors in November 2008.
The Directory index is also linked here for your convenience.
- Roles, Responsibilities and Relationships
- Code of Conduct and Acting Ethically
- Making the Most of Meetings
- Financial Management
- Support for Councillors
- Relevant Legislation
- Key Organisations
Australian Local Government Women’s Association (ALGWA)
Membership of ALGWA is open to anyone interested in supporting women’s participation in Local Government. Membership includes elected Councillors, employees in Local Government, former Mayors and Councillors, individual Councils and Shires and intending candidates for Local Government elections.
Mosman’s Councillor Induction Program
A comprehensive induction program for Councillors elected at the September elections was organised by Mosman Council staff, SHOROC, and the Department of Local Government.
All presentations made to Councillors are available here:
- 01 Councillor Induction Program (PDF 63KB)
- 02 Record of Attendance (PDF 10KB)
- 03 Introduction 02OCT2008 (PDF 1MB)
- 04 MOSPLAN & Policies 07OCT2008 (PDF 841KB)
- 05 Code of Conduct 09OCT2008 (PDF 438KB)
- 06 SHOROC Induction Seminar 19OCT2008 (PDF 1MB)
- 08 Environment & Planning Presentation 23OCT2008 (PDF 3MB)
- 09 Urban Planning Notes 23OCT2008 (PDF 88KB)
- 11 Development Services Notes 23OCT2008 (PDF 27KB)
- 12 Community Development Overview 30OCT2008 (PDF 1MB)
- 13 Community Development Community Services 30OCT2008 (PDF 1,012KB)
- 14 Community Development Library Services 30OCT2008 (PDF 2MB)
- 15 Community Development Library Resources 30OCT2008 (PDF 6MB)
- 16 Community Development Cultural Services 30OCT2008 (PDF 4MB)
- 17 DLG Councillor Information Seminar 06NOV2008 (PDF 608KB)
- 18 Corporate Services Overview 11NOV2008 (PDF 2MB)
- 19 Occupational Health & Safety 11NOV2008 (PDF 221KB)
- 20 Financing the Council 13NOV2008 (PDF 626KB)
- 21 Planning System Legislative Framework 20NOV2008 (PDF 407KB)
- 22 Planning System State Strategic Planning 20NOV2008 (PDF 637KB)
- 23 State Strategic Planning notes 20NOV2008 (PDF 24KB)
- 24 Planning System Standard Instrument & MLEP 20NOV2008 (PDF 1MB)
- 25 Standard Instrument Notes 20NOV2008 (PDF 19KB)
- 26 Draft LEP notes 20NOV2008 (PDF 64KB)
- 27 Planning System Current Mosman Planning Framework 20NOV2008 (PDF 939KB)
- 28 Current Mosman Planning Framework notes 20NOV2008 (PDF 16KB)
- 30 CEC and Infrastructure Levy 02DEC2008 (PDF 2MB)
- Balmoral Tramshed Amenities Pavilion - Concept Plan - Option 3 (PDF 5MB)
Items 7, 10 and 29 are short video presentations that will not be uploaded. One is an excerpt from ‘Mosman’s Built Heritage’ – the other two are video slideshows. They do not contain additional information to that available in the presentations above.