How to Improve Mosman's Biodiversity
Here are ten things you can do to improve the biodiversity of Mosman:
- Provide a variety of local native trees, shrubs and grasses to provide food and habitat for a wide range of birds and animals.
- Install a small pond to provide water and habitat for frogs.
- Plant dense or prickly shrubs and trees, to provide a safe spot for birds to hide and escape from predators.
- Install a nest box designed for native birds and possums.
- Remove weeds from your garden to allow native plants to thrive.
- Leave fallen trees/logs in your garden as they provide habitat for many plants and animals.
- Provide rocks for shelter and sunbathing opportunities for animals such as lizards.
- Use a native turf species. Some native birds feed on the seeds in native grasses.
- Make sure your cat wears a bell and keep it inside at night to protect native wildlife.
- Adopt sustainable garden practices such as worm farming, composting, mulching and installing a rainwater tank.