Bushcare is an environmental program supported by Mosman Council that encourages the community to participate in the protection and restoration of remnant urban bushland.
Mosman has approximately 39 hectares of bushland that provides a wide variety of habitat for native wildlife.
If you’d like to volunteer, no experience is necessary, just enthusiasm and an interest in the preservation of our unique natural heritage. The amount of time you give is up to you – volunteers can be flexible with their participation in the program.
Bushcare activities involve:
- Regeneration of bushland areas by removing weeds.
- Maintaining areas that have been weeded to encourage and assist native plant regrowth.
- Protecting, restoring and creating habitat for native fauna.
- Replanting with appropriate indigenous species when required.
- Other activities such as bank stabilisation if required on your site.
The benefits of being a Bushcare volunteer include:
- The satisfaction of restoring an area of degraded bushland.
- Learning about ecology, plants and wildlife.
- Learning about weed removal techniques (“know-how” that you can use in your own garden).
- Connecting with your neighbours and like-minded people in the community.
- Physical exercise and fresh air.
Mosman Council supports the Bushcare program by providing:
- A fully qualified supervisor to work with volunteers, to train them in bushland regeneration techniques and weed and native plant identification.
- Site planing and technical advice.
- All tools and gloves.
- Native plants propagated from local seed.
- Green waste removal.
- Extra site support that may be needed.
- Various activities throughout the year such as training and excursions.
- A quarterly newsletter with the latest information on Mosman Council’s Bushcare Program.
Contact Council’s Bushcare Officer if you have any questions.
Individual Bushcare program
Mosman Council also supports an ‘Individual’ Bushcare program where residents that live immediately next to bushland can work on Council land. The Bushcare Officer will write a site assessment plan for your site, periodically check up on you and provide assistance such as plants and materials that you may need. Contact Council’s Bushcare Officer for more information.
If you and your neighbours would like to start your own Bushcare group, Council is here to help you. You will need at least 6 willing and able people and an area where you would all like to work. Contact Council’s Bushcare Officer for more information.
Become a Bushcare volunteer
If you are interested in becoming a Bushcare volunteer you can register by downloading and completing the application form and the Memorandum of Understanding:
- Bushcare New Volunteer Application Form (PDF 67KB)
- Bushcare Volunteer Program - Memorandum of Understanding (PDF 31KB)
Click here to see the Bushcare volunteer job description:
- Bushcare volunteer job description (PDF 26KB)
Please forward the application form and MOU to our volunteers coordinators:
- Liz Nagel, Community Volunteers Coordinator, email or phone 9978 4089
- Ryan Mouthaan, Volunteers Support Officer, email or phone 9978 4126
More information about the Bushcare program
Any questions, please contact Mosman Bushcare on 02 9978 4038 or by email.
Bushland Matters newsletter
A seasonal publication about flora and fauna, and bushcare activities relevant to Mosman bushland.
- Bushland Matters - Spring 2012 (PDF 1MB)
- Bushland Matters - Winter 2012 (PDF 2MB)
- Bushland Matters - Autumn 2011 (PDF 1MB)
- Bushland Matters - Summer 2010/2011 (PDF 1MB)
- Bushland Matters - Spring 2010 (PDF 1MB)
- Bushland Matters - Winter 2010 (PDF 2MB)
- Bushland Matters - Autumn 2010 (PDF 1MB)
- Bushland Matters - Summer 2009/2010 (PDF 672KB)
- Bushland Matters - Spring 2009 (PDF 598KB)
- Bushland Matters - Winter 2009 (PDF 772KB)
- Bushland Matters - Autumn 2009 (PDF 516KB)
- Bushland Matters - Spring 2008 (PDF 439KB)
- Bushland Matters - Autumn 2008 (PDF 865KB)
- Bushland Matters - Summer 2007/2008 (PDF 2MB)
- Bushland Matters - Spring 2007 (PDF 1MB)
- Bushland Matters - Winter 2007 (PDF 2MB)
- Bushland Matters - Autumn 2007 (PDF 1MB)
- Bushland Matters - Summer 2006/2007 (PDF 1MB)
- Bushland Matters - Spring 2006 (PDF 1MB)
- Bushland Matters - Winter 2006 (PDF 2MB)
- Bushland Matters - Spring 2005 (PDF 3MB)
- Bushland Matters - Spring 2004 (PDF 3MB)
- Bushland Matters - Autumn 2004 (PDF 885KB)
- Bushland Matters - Summer 2003/2004 (PDF 392KB)