Bush friendly neighbours
Residents in Mosman can enjoy beautiful bushland, stunning harbour foreshores and an abundance of native flora and fauna. These are valuable natural assets, but they need our help if they are to thrive and continue to provide peace, quiet and enjoyment to us all.
Private gardens are also an important part of the local natural environment – even if they are behind fences and houses. If you think about some of the simple tips below as you look after your garden, it can continue to provide you and your family with enjoyment and peace, as well as helping to look after our bushland and our harbour waterways. If you have a private contractor who looks after your garden, you can also ask them to do some of these things so you both can become bush friendly neighbours.
Being a bush friendly neighbour
There are a number of easy things for you do to make your garden a great place for you and your family, and maintain the health of local bushland and Sydney Harbour.
- Use native plants to provide natural habitat and food sources for our native fauna. Council can provide information on suitable plants, or see our Guide to Native Plant Species for Mosman Gardens (PDF 1MB).
- Introduce a number of ‘layers’ to your garden with ground covers, climbers, shrubs, bushes and trees that provide a wide variety of habitats.
- Do not hose leaves away into the stormwater system, instead collect and compost them (and save precious water).
- Minimise the use of fertilisers by using mulch and compost.
- Minimise pesticide use by encouraging insect-eaters like birds and frogs into your garden with a pond and even (ironically) insect attracting plants like bush pea varieties.
- Minimise herbicide use by pulling weeds out or ‘folding’ the young sprouts of weeds down flat and covering them completely with mulch.
- Avoid using any chemicals during or immediately before wet weather.
- Ensure your home and property are fire safe by removing dumped vegetation and debris. Use Council’s free monthly garden organics collection service – don’t dump garden waste in the bush.
- Be a responsible pet owner – keep dogs on a leash and cats indoors at night.
- Conserve water by mulching your garden and only watering during the cool of the day.
Mosman Council has produced the following brochures and guides to help you with these ideas. You can download them right here or contact Council for hard copies.
- Guide to Native Plant Species for Mosman Gardens (PDF 1MB)
- Creating your own Eden in Mosman - a guide to Eco-gardening (PDF 2MB)
Contact Mosman Council for further information on recommended plants, and those to avoid, as well as useful brochures, booklets and any up-coming workshops.
You might also like to join our email list to stay informed of environment news and events in Mosman.