Mosman Library is pleased to offer its members access to full-text electronic databases to assist with assignments and research.
These databases offer full text articles and journals, statistics and other media like photographs and video. All are available in the Library and some are available from home or work via the internet. You will need a current Mosman Library membership card to access them from home or work. By using these resources, you can be sure that the information you find is current and authoritative.
- Geography and Culture
- Media & Social Issues
- Science & Environment
Certain databases are accessible only from the PCs at Mosman Library, where staff will help you log-in. Others are available from home or work via the internet, but may require you to enter your Mosman Library card number .
- Company360 – access from Mosman Library only
Company360 provides un-matched depth and breadth of information on Australia’s top 50,000 private and public companies. Company360 also allows you to identify key company executives, conduct competitor and peer analyses, and access the latest industry news, trends and analysis.
Small Business Reference Center
- Small Business Reference Center – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
Provides up to date information on topics related to starting a company, operations management, sales and growing or rescuing a business.
It includes sections on how to create a business plan, staff management and more.
Academic Search Elite
- Academic Search Elite – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
A scholarly collection offering full-text coverage of information in many areas of academic study including: animal science, anthropology, astronomy, biology, civil engineering, electrical engineering, ethnic & multicultural studies, food science & technology, geography, geology, law, materials science, mathematics, mechanical engineering, music, pharmaceutical sciences, physics, psychology, religion & theology, veterinary science, women’s studies, zoology and many other fields. With full text for more than 2,100 journals, 1700 of which are peer-reviewed, this database will become the first point of call for all students seeking high quality information.
Australia/NZ Reference Centre
- Australia/NZ Reference Centre – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
ANZ Reference Centre is a general database of Australian and international content with articles in health, current affairs, science, social science, business and literature.
- Electric Library – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card (Requires uppercase)
- Electric Library – access from inside the Library
Electric Library provides information updated daily. You can search magazines, books, newspapers, images, maps and TV and radio transcripts. The Mosman Daily is indexed at Electric Library. It is possible to limit searches to publication, date, and title of article and author.
Encyclopaedia Britannica Online
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
One of the most authoritative information resources in the world with access to over 73,000 articles, more than 2,000 videos, full text magazine and journal articles and over 200,000 websites which have been reviewed and rated by the editors allowing you to expand your search over the internet.
- MasterFILE Premier – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
MasterFILE Premier provides full text for more than 2,100 general reference publications with full text information dating as far back as 1975. MasterFILE Premier also includes 650 full text reference books, 84,074 biographies, 86,135 primary source documents, and an Image Collection of 107,135 photos, maps and flags.
Oxford Reference Online: Premium Collection
- Oxford Reference Online: Premium Collection – access from outside the Library; prefix the last eight numbers of your Library card with the code MOSMAN e.g. MOSMAN00000000
- Oxford Reference Online: Premium Collection – access from inside Mosman Library
A vast online reference library that combines the rich and scholarly resources offered by titles in the Oxford Companion series with authoritative, quick reference coverage of the full subject spectrum from Art to Zoology. It also includes the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations. English Dictionaries and bilingual dictionaries of French, German, Spanish and Italian as well as 6,000 full colour images and 500+ full colour maps and flags.
Standards Australia Online Public Library Service
- SAI Global – access from Mosman Library only
A comprehensive online collection of International and Australian standards, many with full text coverage. Where copyright of a standard is not held by Standards Australia full text is not available, however, instructions on how it might be purchased are normally provided.
- World Book – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
Primary source documents and ebooks fully integrated with encyclopedia content plus timelines, citation builder, and saved research.
Writer’s Reference Center
- Writer’s Reference Center access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
A convenient one stop location for all of the tools necessary to write and research effectively. From the mechanics of writing and grammar to style and research, this resource thoroughly covers the fundamentals of quality writing and provides a wealth of vocabulary-building reference dictionaries.
Geography and Culture
World Geography and Culture Online
- World Geography and Culture Online – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
World Geography and Culture Online makes it easy to study all aspects of a country – from its geography and physical features to its government, people and society – providing both facts at a glance and in depth coverage through country entries, maps, flags, images, statistics, news articles a gazetteer and more.
Consumer Health Complete
- Consumer Health Complete – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
Consumer Health Complete contains full text articles covering all areas of health and wellness from mainstream medicine to many perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated medicine. Topics include ageing, cancer, diabetes, drugs and alcohol, fitness, nutrition and dietetics and women’s, children’s and men’s health.
Health Reference Center
- Health Reference Center – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
Health Reference Center provides reliable information on today’s most pressing health topics and key social concerns and offers specially selected entries in five categories; teen health, women’s health, men’s health, children’s health and senior’s health.
Ancestry Library Edition
- Ancestry Library Edition – access from Mosman Library only
Ancestry Library Edition has access to US and UK census records US Birth, Marriage and Death records and UK and Ireland Parish and Probate records, UK and US Directories from 1680 – 1930 and much more. Search through four billion names!
Ancient and Medieval History Online
- Ancient and Medieval History Online – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
Ancient and Medieval History Online provides thorough coverage of nine civilizations – ancient Egypt, ancient Mesopotamia, ancient Greece, ancient Rome, ancient and medieval Africa, medieval Europe, the Americas, ancient and medieval Asia and Islamic Empire. Covering pre history through the 1500s, this authoritative online resource is user friendly. You can research each civilisation in depth or use the browse feature to conduct comparative studies of events and developments across civilizations.
Australian History, Ancient and Modern History
- History & Reference Library – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
- History & Reference Library – access from inside the Library
This electronic resource is full of Australian content and contains major titles adapted for online use. Original source documents are included as well as documentaries and video footage. Topics covered are: Australian history, On this day in Australian history, World War I History, World War II History and History of the Modern and Ancient World.
Modern World History Online
- Modern World History Online – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
Modern World History Online covers the full scope of history from the mid 15th century to the present. Thousands of fully hyperlinked subject entries, biographies, images and videos, maps and charts, primary sources and time line entries combine to provide a detailed and comparative view of the people, places, events and ideas that have defined modern world history.
Bloom’s Literary Reference Online
- Bloom’s Literary Reference Online – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
Bloom’s Literary Reference Online features hundred’s of Harold Bloom’s essays, examining the lives and works of great writers throughout history and the world, thousands of critical articles published by noted scholars under the Bloom’s Literary Criticism imprint.
Literary Reference Center Plus
- Literary Reference Center Plus – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
Literary Reference Center Plus is a comprehensive database that provides a broad spectrum of information on thousands of authors and their works across literary disciplines and time frames. It contains thousands of plot summaries, synopses and work overviews; author biographies and interviews, literary journals, book reviews, classic and contemporary poems, classic and contemporary short stories, full-text study guides, literary videos and full text classic texts. A fantastic resource for secondary students to undergraduates or anyone interested in the study of Literature.
- Looking for your next read? Visit the Reading Lounge for book reviews and recommendations.
Media & Social Issues
Australia/New Zealand Points of View
- Australia/New Zealand Points of View – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
ANZ Points of View provides the basis from which students can realize and develop persuasive arguments and essays, better understand controversial issues and develop analytical thinking skills.
Australian Public Affairs Information Service
- Australian Public Affairs Information Service – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
- Australian Public Affairs Information Service – access from inside the Library
Search an online collection of scanned images of the top 200 Australian journals indexed in APAIS – the Australian Public Affairs Information Service – produced by the National Library of Australia.
Echo Online – Australian Newspaper indexes and media issues
- Echo Online – access from inside the Library
Echo selectively indexes three major Australian newspapers and provides a searchable index. Echo also publishes regular issue outlines. These are analyses of newspaper treatment of events, controversies etc. The outlines set out the arguments for and against (as put forward by journalists and commentators) and provide background information on the particular issue. The issue outlines also contain links to vetted, relevant documents and Internet sites.
Science & Environment
- GreenFILE – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
A freely accessible research database focusing on the relationship between human beings and the environment, with well-researched but accessible information on topics ranging from global warming to recycling to alternate fuel sources and beyond. Comprised of scholarly and general interest titles, as well as government documents and reports, GreenFILE offers a unique perspective on the positive and negative ways humans affect the ecology.
- Science Online – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
Science Online offers a comprehensive overview of a broad range of scientific disciplines in a variety of useful formats. Science online offers more than 1100 science experiments; more than 7500 printable diagrams illustrations and images, and more than 500 videos.
Science Reference Center
- Science Reference Center – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
Science Reference Center provides easy access to a multitude of full text science oriented content. Contains full text for 640 science encyclopedias, reference books, and journals. Topics covered include: biology, chemistry, earth and space science, environmental science, health and medicine, history of science, life science, physics, science and society, scientists, technology and wildlife.
- Today’s Science – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
Today’s Science bridges the gap between science taught in the classroom and real-world discoveries. Updated twice a week Today’s Science gives in depth explanations of advances in biology, chemistry, environmental science, space, physics and technology and features interviews with the scientists doing the research.
Trove – from the National Library of Australia
Trove is a new discovery experience focused on Australia and Australians. It supplements what search engines provide with reliable information from Australia’s memory institutions.