Mosman Library has a great range of resources for children of all ages and reading levels.
As well as all the latest books, we also have a wide range of magazines, music CDs, audio-books, DVDs, Read-along kits and CD-ROMs for young people from babies to high-school age. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, let us know and we’ll be happy to help you.
The Children’s Library also offers free Internet for research, a reader’s advisory service for help with school projects and recreational reading, and HEAPS of events and activities for children of all ages.
Pop in and say hi next time you visit the Library- we look forward to seeing you soon!
What’s Happening in the Children’s Library?
Mon 1 Jul 2013
Learn about traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture by creating your own traditional basket!!
Tue 2 Jul 2013
A show that will blow your kids away these holidays with flying objects and wind and air experiments for everyone to enjoy! Age: 4-12 years old.
Make your own Boomerang
Tue 9 Jul 2013
Learn about the different tools that the indigenous people once used by creating your own boomerang!
Teddy Bears Picnic Storytime
Wed 10 Jul 2013
Bring your favourite teddy bear in and listen to popular children’s author, Aleesah Darlison, read her latest picture book, ‘Bearly There’.
Kadul with Ryka Ali
Thu 11 Jul 2013
The richness of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islands cultures from a winner in the Young, Black and Deadly Talent Quest.
Thu 18 Jul 2013
Help decorate the library in winter by creating your own snowflake and snowman!!!Suitable for children aged 5+
Extra Time: Morris Gleitzman at Mosman Library
Thu 25 Jul 2013
Hear the funny and moving story about a 14-year-old Australian soccer genius and his 10-year-old sister/manager who change the face of English Premier League football.
Stories kids love: Susannah McFarlane at Mosman Library
Thu 1 Aug 2013
Meet the popular children’s book author. Suitable for children aged 5+
Babytime – a story session for babies aged 0-12 months and their carers
- Every second Wednesday, at 11am or 2.30pm, during the school term
- Bookings open on the Monday of the previous week at 9.30am (ie. 9 days prior)
- Book online
Mosman Children’s Library has developed a rhyme and story session for parents and babies.
Babytime is presented as a ‘lap-sit’ session in which your baby sits on your lap, listens to stories and enjoys simple rhymes and finger plays.
One lap – one baby (sorry no siblings). Session lasts approximately 20 minutes. Numbers are strictly limited and online bookings only.
Bright Beginnings @ Mosman Library
Have your mum or dad bring you into Mosman Library to get your very own Library card. On your third visit, you’ll receive your free Library Baby Kit filled with all sorts of goodies.
(Mum or Dad – please enquire at the Lending desk to receive your registration card.)
Encourage a love of stories, books and libraries!
Storytime at Mosman Library is held during the school term:
- Tuesdays at 10:30am for Toddlers (2-3 years)
- Thursdays at 10:30am for Preschoolers (3-5 years)
Here are a few ways you, as a parent or caregiver, can help make sure that every child (and grown up!) gets the most out of Mosman Library Storytime:
- Keeping Storytime Fun for Everyone (PDF 77KB)
For school aged children
Thursday Kids: for school children aged 5+
The Thursday Kids is a (free!) weekly after-school program for school aged children, with story reading, games, crafts, trivia competitions and heaps of other fun stuff. Book at the Circulation Desk or phone 9978 4091.
- New: book online!
Paper Bag Man Fun – Thursday 30 May
Join us for some fun craft and create your own paper bag man!!
Bookings open 23 May
Royal for a Day – Thursday 6 June
Be a royal for a day!! Come along and create your own royal mask to celebrate the Queen’s long weekend!!
Bookings open 30 May
Weaving Mats – Thursday 13 June
Come along to the Thursday Kids and create your own placemat by learning to weave!!
Bookings open 6 June
Origami Madness – Thursday 20 June
Learn the ancient art of Japanese paper folding Origami!! Come along and create your own masterpiece!!
Bookings open 13 June
Make your own glasses – Thursday 27 June
If you’ve never had glasses or want to create your own, come along to Thursday kids and create your own oversize glasses!!
Bookings open 20 June
Come along to Starfish Club in May and learn about the classics. In keeping with tradition, the children will discuss classic stories from decades past, alongside a fun “Guess the Book” Quiz!!!
Strictly for children aged 8-12 years and numbers are strictly limited so please book early!! Please phone 9978 4091. This program is only available during term time.
Wednesday 1 May
Bookings open 3 April
Star Fish Club: for book loving kids aged 8-12
Join us on the first Wednesday of the month during the school term @ 4pm
- New: book online!
- 6 February – Best Books of Summer
- 6 March – Dragons
- 3 April – Adventure Stories
- 1 May – Classic Books for Kids
- 5 June – Animal Heroes
- 7 August – Sports and games
- 4 September – Spy stories
- 6 November – Books to Movies
- 4 December – Australian Stories
Share stories, games, writing, craft, competitions and fun activities with a monthly theme.
Bookings required! Please phone 9978 4091.
For parents & carers
Mosman Library has a collection of resources including books, CDs, DVDs, videos, magazines and ephemera to assist parents and carers of children from baby to teen.
The collection is located in the Children’s Library and all items are available for loan.
Reading & literacy
I’m sorry to tell you, but there are only so many books out there, and if you’ve left it too late, you will probably find that all the books in the library have been taken. But don’t worry- Mosman Library is still here to help you find what you need!
World Book online
- World Book – access from outside the Library using your Mosman Library card
Easy-to-read articles, multimedia, games, science projects, interactive tools, and activities for young readers.
NSW Premier’s Reading Challenge
The Premier’s Reading Challenge is a special initiative of the Premier of NSW, presented by the NSW Department of Education and Training, to foster a love of literature and to encourage children to read widely for leisure and for pleasure.
For more information, visit the Premier’s Reading Challenge website.
- Andy Griffiths – games, book information, FAQs, teacher notes, articles, biography, guestbook
- Jackie French – book information, biography, writing tips, information for projects, wombat-themed blog, how to get kids reading, guestbook
- Mem Fox – author information, book information, reading aloud, for parents and teachers, for writers, guestbook
- John Marsden – book information, FAQs, biography, articles and speeches
- Hazel Edwards – book information, author information, news
- J.K. Rowling – biography, scrapbook, author notes, characters
- Morris Gleitzman – book information, author information, sample chapters, FAQs, visitor’s page
- Carmody Online – book information, online forums, writing competitions, interviews, book reviews, downloads
- Lemony Snicket – book information, author information, games, downloads, trading cards, reading group guide
- The Keys To The Kingdom – about the books, about Garth, activities, newsletter
- Go Girl! – about the books, chat forum, character profiles, downloads, competitions, sample chapters
- Zac Power – about the books, competitions, sample chapters, downloads, gadgets, ‘enemies’
- Deltora Quest – about the books, about the author, excerpt, characters, competition
- Captain Underpants – about the books, games, create your own comic, click-o-rama, character profiles, for teachers and parents