Mosman Art Gallery
- Visit the Mosman Art Gallery website at mosmanartgallery.org.au
- corner Art Gallery Way and Myahgah Road (map)
Mosman NSW 2088
- Open 10am – 5pm, 7 days a week
Closed between exhibitions and on public holidays
- general enquiries (+61 2) 9978 4178
venue hire (+61 2) 9978 4016
fax (+61 2) 9978 4135
About the Gallery
The Mosman Art Gallery is a dedicated public gallery established by Mosman Council.
It presents a rich and varied program of high quality exhibitions, educational activities and special events, which make a significant contribution to the cultural life of Mosman and surrounding districts.
Derived from local, national and international sources, the exhibition program covers the visual arts, craft and design, including historical and contemporary themes and subjects. Exhibitions are accompanied by a program of gallery talks, seminars and formal lectures for general visitors, students and arts professionals.
Exhibitions & Public Programs
The Balnaves Gift
A significant collection of Australian impressionist and early twentieth century artworks.
Chick Gordon: Life in colour
Sat 4 May – Sun 7 July
Vivid colours capture form, light and changing moods for a lively interpretation of our unique country.
Justin Harvey: Time Lines
Sat 4 May – Sun 30 June
Exploring the new aesthetic of the digital and the everyday as ‘in camera’ panoramas distort our field of vision.
Mosman Youth Art Prize 2013
Sat 1 June – Sun 30 June
One of the richest Youth Art Prizes in Australia.
2013 Mosman Art Prize
Sat 13 July – Sun 25 August
The oldest and most prestigious municipally funded visual art prizes in Australia.
In Situ 2013: Mosman Festival of Sculpture & Installation
Sat 5 October – Sun 20 October
In Situ 2013 is a collaborative sculpture exhibition between Mosman Art Gallery, Mosman businesses and participating artists. It comes under the umbrella of the Festival of Mosman and is a key event in its calendar.
- Good news from Museums Australia National Conference 2013
- At home with Ruth Burgess
- See Me: at the Beach
- A welcome to Xina Crowther
- It's Museums and Galleries awards season!
A regular newsletter with updates on exhibitions and events delivered to your email inbox. Sign up here.
Mosman Art Prize
The Mosman Art Prize is an annual, acquisitive award for painting sponsored by Mosman Municipal Council. Established in 1947, the Prize is one of the oldest and most prestigious, local government art awards in Australia. The winning works form a splendid collection of modern and contemporary art, reflecting developments in Australian art practice over the last half a century.
The primary purpose of the Mosman Art Prize is “to build a municipal art collection and to encourage an interest in the arts in the local community”. Works from the collection are regularly displayed in the Mosman Art Gallery & Community Centre, Mosman Council and Mosman Library.
The winner of the first Mosman Art Prize, judged by Lloyd Rees in 1947, was Margaret Olley. Subsequent Prize winners include many prominent artists such as Grace Cossington Smith, Weaver Hawkins, Nancy Borlase, Anthony Galbraith, Elisabeth Cummings, Janet Dawson, Jenny Sages and Tim Johnson.
Mosman Youth Art Prize
This annual competition has been held since 1988 and is open to all young people aged 11-20 years. Cash prizes, art scholarships and materials are awarded for a wide variety of art media such as painting, photography, drawing, pottery, printing, etching, textiles and computer art. The competition is aimed at encouraging the creative talents of young people and providing a showcase for the community to view their works.
The Mosman Art Gallery exhibits 12 exhibitions a year and provides education programs for students K – 12. Programs are devised to compliment exhibitions which are relevant to the visual arts syllabus with opportunities for guest presenters and practical workshops in different media. Staff at the Gallery include two education specialists with art teaching experience.
The Gallery also offers a series of public programs throughout the year that would be of interest to Tertiary students. Specialist guided tours are also available.
Mosman Art Gallery is available for hire by individuals, community groups or business enterprises. It is a perfect venue for corporate functions, product launches, meetings, weddings, parties and receptions.
- Mosman Art Gallery & Community Centre - Venue Hire - Policy & Procedures (includes prices & application form) (PDF 2MB)
- Mosman Art Gallery & Community Centre - Venue Hire Payment Form (PDF 52KB)
Enquiries – phone 9978 4016.
Sponsorship Opportunities and Benefits
Expressions of interest are invited from companies, organisations and individuals who may wish to sponsor art exhibitions and associated projects and activities conducted by the Mosman Art Gallery. Exhibitions include the Mosman Youth Art Prize and the Mosman Art Prize, as well as a number of touring exhibitions from other regional centres and states.
In return for financial support for exhibitions, public programs and special events, the Mosman Art Gallery can provide a range of benefits and privileges to sponsors depending upon the amount of sponsorship involved.
- Joint naming credit for an exhibition or project, such as:
Mosman Art Gallery in association with X Y Z Company Ltd, presents ………
- Acknowledgements on all Gallery signage related to the exhibition.
- Opportunity to display company promotional material in the Gallery.
- Invitations to speak at all official functions associated with the exhibition.
- Opportunity to hold a private or corporate function in the Gallery.
- Acknowledgements and logos on all printed exhibition material such as posters, invitations, catalogues, education sheets and press releases.
- Acknowledgements at all official functions associated with the exhibition.
- Invitations to company officials and selected guests to all events and functions associated with the exhibition or project.
- Private guided tours of sponsored exhibition for company officials and selected guests provided by Gallery staff and Volunteer Guides.
- Exhibition or project catalogues for company representatives or officials, where relevant.
Expressions of interest in sponsorship opportunities and sponsorship proposals will be considered and assessed according to criteria associated with each exhibition or project, and in accordance with Council’s Sponsorship Policy and ICAC Sponsorship guidelines. Sponsorship criteria may include: sponsor’s reputation within their field of activity or industry and community at large, and relationship of sponsor’s activities or operations to the activities of the Mosman Art Gallery and nature of the relevant exhibition.
For further information about sponsorship opportunities, contact the Gallery Director of the Mosman Art Gallery on 9978 4178 or write to the Gallery Director at PO Box 211, Spit Junction NSW 2088.
- Mosman Art Society – Outdoor and indoor drawing and painting groups, exhibitions, talks/demonstrations by artists and others, excursions, and social and fundraising events.